Friday, March 27, 2015

Please, think before you ask!


I doubt I'm the only person who has faced this before, but has any of you met a new person in a social gathering or something for the first time and when you find out what their name is, they all of a sudden throw a question regarding your private life at you?




This might be different in other cultures, but around here it's generally speaking not acceptable to ask someone you barely know about their sexual, medical or other personal issues right off the bat. How would you feel if someone were to approach you and as soon as they have introduced themselves, they'd ask whether or not you have erection issues, hemorrhoids or an STD?

Well... It appears that over here the idea of some questions being regarded as "too soon" seems to be somewhat of a gray area. It seems that most people are completely comfortable making questions to transgender people without any issues whatsoever. I've lost count of how many times I've met a new person, whether through online interaction or a friend-of-a-friend in real life, quite often people immediately ask "so are you getting surgery?"

Now, I know it's all just curiosity and I am not trying to judge a person based on their curiosity or first impressions. However, it isn't really pleasant to meet someone when the first reaction is "Oh, it's so nice to meet you! So what are you doing about your crotch?"

To some this behavior feels rude, disrespectful and embarrassing, while others don't seem to have much issue with it. I personally feel a bit desensitized to this sort of behavior, but sometimes I can't help but notice how a lot of average individuals who feel comfortable with their gender don't seem to think what they are asking about.

Furthermore! What comes to talking to a transgender person, it is generally speaking not a good idea to automatically assume that he/she is willing to talk about their transition openly, because it might be a sore topic to some people. I'd suggest observing and evaluating whether or not the person might feel comfortable about talking about it first, either by politely asking if it's okay to talk about it or alternatively waiting for them to talk about it.

I still remember this one housewarming party, where my friend introduced me to her friends. It quickly turned from her housewarming party into "hey, let's ask this transgender person everything about everything" party. I personally don't really mind answering questions, but all I wanted to do there was to enjoy her party, that's all. ^^'

Anyway. This doesn't apply to all people out there. Quite a few people are even shy to ever ask these questions, because they might be worried that it might upset someone. And there are also plenty of respectful people as well, who do think about what they are about to ask and how they are going to ask it.

All I really wish for is that people wouldn't ask a transgender person (or anyone else) questions about their genitalia while they are introducing themselves. It just gives me the creeps. xP

No comments:

Post a Comment